Google Street View (and Me)

Thursday, November 5, 2009


You heard it here first: I'm famous. If you'll indulge me for a moment, you will (hopefully) find that this post is not as off-topic as it first appears.

Several months ago, as I was walking to the venerable Jim Hanley's Universe in Manhattan, I received a call from my Dad. Being the loving son that I am, I took the call and proceeded to carry on a rather long conversation with him. After some time, I saw a van drive by with a pole on the roof, capped by a circular, black gadget. Using Google Street View extensively as a reference tool, I immediately knew what it was and watched it drive past with the hope that someday my image would grace the internet — that day has finally arrived.



The above image is an embedded version of the larger internet application. You can either click and drag to navigate through the space, or press the arrow keys (left and right to pan, up and down to travel).


Aside from the thrill of being an instant internet superstar, I've been wanting to do a post on Street View for some time. It's a fantastic resource that I often use for inspiration and research. For instance, in the Young Allies one-shot I drew earlier this year, I took a virtual spin along the River Seine to get a feel for a Parisian high-speed chase.






Environment and architecture reference are the two most obvious benefits of Street View, but it's also a great source for candid shots of people and vehicles, especially in a traffic-heavy city like New York. As you can probably see, Google makes every effort to blur out faces using an automated program, but there's still enough information there to inspire personal clothing styles and body types.

While the panoramas are fairly up-to-date, I hope that Google will someday archive subsequent "passes" into a searchable database, allowing us to not only explore cities in space, but time as well. I can't wait to look back (wearing shiny spandex, I'm sure) at how silly my clothing choices were in the first decade of the 21st century. I know they've already updated New York at least once because the current crop of photos is at a much higher resolution than the previous (making my job even easier).

What I would like to stress, however, is that I glean visual information from Street View, rather than directly copying it (though I read of at least one project that does just that on Lines and Colors). I am searching for ideas, relationships, and experiences, rather than compositions. Admittedly, that can be a gray area, but that's the general principle I adhere to when finding inspiration on-line, whether through Street View or a general image search.

I hope that was at least slightly informative. Now I look forward to basking in the glow of my newfound celebrity status.

17 comments :

  1. Were you inside the building?

    All i can see is a male hooker on the street.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is brilliant. I never thought to use google street view for reference. My mind is blown!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Can I get your autograph.. Please sign it "Google street man #46^3"

    Using it as a reference tool is very smart, thanks for that tip!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahhahaha man this is hilariously awesome! What's the chance you'd be caught by Google, and then to KNOW you've been captured! Unbelievable.

    Also, great tip on the reference tool, that's really handy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I never thought of using street view for reference. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, that's funny and incredible!!! Shouldn't they pay your royalties or something for using your likeness. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah! Very cool incident and post. Thanks for the heads up about the virtual tour of the streets of Paris. Never thought of that.

    That Young Allies strip of yours really is a fine work that keeps on giving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's me, anonymous! Male hooker is just a slang term for comic book artist!

    Glad you liked the post, folks. I thought it was crazy enough to worth mentioning. I just wish I had waved as the van passed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here's a cool piece made using Google Street View by animator Dan Meth:

    http://danmeth.com/post/218152576/chuckberry

    I'm always impressed to see what amazing and unique uses can be teased out of this app once you start thinking about it in creative ways!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha thats kool. I never thought about using google street view for reference.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool video, Sfs! I always wonder who they hire to do all those road trips (especially on the interstate).

    Alejandro, glad I could introduce it to you as a resource. It's pretty useful for me to have the whole city photographed, organized, and easily accessible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. that's just beautiful. good thing you weren't in front of the strip club that's like 3 doors down. although I've heard they have a great buffet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, good thing, Janimal. It's always my second stop after Hanley's.

    ReplyDelete
  14. First of all that's amazing, hilarious and I'm insanely jealous! I dream of watching that crazy GOOGLE truck drive by! Ha ha, you're a lucky man!

    Second, goooood call on using street view for reference! How the hell didn't I think of that before!? I'm definitely adding that to my reference "tool box".

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mike, glad I could help out on the ol' reference tool box. And yes, you should be insanely jealous; I consider this to be the pinnacle of my career.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought you might dig this http://www.cafepress.com/wildcardz.143312194#

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.