Daredevil #506

Monday, January 18, 2010

Daredevil #506 Cover. 2009. Acrylic and
gouache on bristol board, 11 x 17".

The cover for Daredevil #506 has finally been solicited, so I'm taking that as tacit permission to post it here. This piece was a joy to work on and I'm very thankful to my editor, Steve Wacker, for letting me go with the Japanese print theme. I took most of my inspiration from Hiroshige, whose work I have always admired, but never spent enough time perusing. Luckily, my roommate had a book of his work, so I had plenty of reference. I'm pressed for time at the moment, so the step-by-step will have to wait until Monday. Aside from my Spidey work, I've got one more Daredevil cover to do before the end of the month.

5 comments :

  1. This is awesome! And thanks for mentioning Hiroshige's name, I'm checking his stuff now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recognized the Hiroshige homage the moment I saw this piece, and as a long-time admirer of that Edo series, you elicited a huge fangirl squee out of me.

    Two great fandoms in one spot! I could not be happier, sir. Your signature and the logo at the top are genius. Icing on the 4-layer cake.

    I certainly hope Marvel authorizes this cover for a licensed t-shirt design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the design elements are what really put it over the top for me as well.

    When I first saw it, my first question to you was going to be if you had any push back from editorial for such a specific design choice.

    That Steve Wacker, he's good people.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.