Sunday, November 7, 2010

Wolverine #5.1

Wolverine #5.1 Cover. 2010. Ink with digital color on bristol board, 11 x 17".

Marvel has a new promotion called "Point One" in which select titles will boast an extra issue tailored toward new readers. When they asked me to provide the cover for Wolverine, I was more than happy to oblige. The cover had a tight deadline, so I had to keep things fairly simple, but the graphic approach probably helped the composition in the end. I'll detail the full process in a later post, but the background was painted separately (and at a smaller size), then merged in Photoshop.


  1. great! I saw this on iFanboy and its what led me to your work in the first place.
    I really like your inked work, it has a Mike Allred meets Paul Pope thing goin on that I love and when you mix that with the Ross like painting it becomes something truely unique. keep up the good work! (and the good blogging)


  2. That looks awesome! I was going to say that it doesn't beat the fastball special you did a while back, but then I noticed the ribs in shadow. Excellent!

    (How many poop jokes did you encounter?)

  3. I can never get enough of your inked work! The use of flat colour just suits it perfectly :)

  4. Thanks, everybody!

    Narco, do you mean in general, or about this piece? Actually, I don't feel comfortable answering either...

  5. Haha! I mean about the Wolverine cover.

    I guess I just remember being a child in grade school, drawing Dragon Ball Z characters in their "power-up" stances, and classmates would joke about them looking like they're pooping.

  6. Yes, I've probably made the same comment myself.



Related Posts with Thumbnails