Wolverine #5.1

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Wolverine #5.1 Cover. 2010. Ink with digital color on bristol board, 11 x 17".

Marvel has a new promotion called "Point One" in which select titles will boast an extra issue tailored toward new readers. When they asked me to provide the cover for Wolverine, I was more than happy to oblige. The cover had a tight deadline, so I had to keep things fairly simple, but the graphic approach probably helped the composition in the end. I'll detail the full process in a later post, but the background was painted separately (and at a smaller size), then merged in Photoshop.

6 comments :

  1. great! I saw this on iFanboy and its what led me to your work in the first place.
    I really like your inked work, it has a Mike Allred meets Paul Pope thing goin on that I love and when you mix that with the Ross like painting it becomes something truely unique. keep up the good work! (and the good blogging)

    (GOSH IT IS LATE!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks awesome! I was going to say that it doesn't beat the fastball special you did a while back, but then I noticed the ribs in shadow. Excellent!

    (How many poop jokes did you encounter?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can never get enough of your inked work! The use of flat colour just suits it perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everybody!

    Narco, do you mean in general, or about this piece? Actually, I don't feel comfortable answering either...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! I mean about the Wolverine cover.

    I guess I just remember being a child in grade school, drawing Dragon Ball Z characters in their "power-up" stances, and classmates would joke about them looking like they're pooping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I've probably made the same comment myself.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.