|Hellboy. 2010. Acrylic, gouache, and watercolor on bristol board, 11 x 17".|
I had recently purchased a Droid Incredible smart phone, complete with 8-megapixel camera, when I finally got around to painting this commission. I quickly realized that I could speed up the reference-taking process by shooting photos with my phone and emailing them to myself. Gone are the days of printing out tons of photo reference; I now store it all on my iPad and paint directly from it. Since I can navigate albums and scale photos with just one finger, it frees up precious desk space while reducing paper and ink consumption (not to mention clutter). Technology doesn't really change what I'm doing, but it can certainly make it easier.
As for the pics, I set up some simple props on my light box to get the appropriate under-lighting. As I often mention, I'm looking for ideas about lighting to inspire the finished product. The most loyal translation is probably in the left hand, which bore the closest resemblance to what I had wanted. Everything else was used as a loose foundation. You can see the entire painting process in my previous post.