Wacky Reference Wednesday, No. 187

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Daredevil #10, Page 4. 2012. Ink(ed by Joe Rivera) on Marvel board, 11 × 17.25″.

Sometimes you have to make your own reference. The Mole Man's throne room had to serve as a setting for at least 2 scenes, including a drawn-out staff fight, so everything had to make some sort of sense. In order to organize the props and general action, I drew a rough plan of the room in Photoshop.



I did, of course, have other reference to help me with the interior design, namely Orientalist paintings of Harems. My Dad, who inked this page, later told me that while watching Hellboy II: The Golden Army on TV, he recognized many similar elements in one of the fight scenes. While I had seen the movie, that certainly didn't cross my mind, but I wouldn't be surprised if the concept artists were looking at the same source material as I was.

This is Auto-Paolo blogging from the past. I should be back to posting on Monday.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.