Thursday, December 6, 2012

Two Faces

Two-Face. 2012. Watercolor on paper, 9 × 12″.

Here are a couple of head shots done in preparation for Thought Bubble in Leeds. I was heavily influenced by Batman: The Animated Series growing up and am still in love with the designs from the show. I bought the art book when I was in high school, but lost it somewhere in the course of college. Sigh. The portrait of Two-Face above is just a Bruce Timm rip-off, but done with great respect (I saw him talking to William Stout at San Diego this summer, but I failed to introduce myself to either living legend).

Batman, himself, is much tougher for me. More than any other superhero, he shape-shifts from artist to artist, and there are just too many versions out there that I love. I haven't found "my" take on him yet, but maybe someday I'll figure it out. By the way, since people seem to like having the hour tally, Batman took 2 hours (what I usually shoot for with head shot commissions) and Two-Face took 3. Have a great weekend!


Batman. 2012. Watercolor on paper, 9 × 12″.

4 comments:

  1. OK I'm starting to become a regular here on your blog ;-)
    I didn't know that Two-Face was like 3 hours of work. very nice. I'm looking to frame it in the next few weeks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, painting always takes more time, but it's usually worth it. Glad you like it!

      Delete
  2. Both are good but Twoface rocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm a little partial to him too.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails