Wacky Reference Wednesday, No. 202

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Amazing Spider-Man #699 Cover. 2012.
Ink(ed by Joe Rivera) on Marvel board, 11 × 17.25″.

Amazing Spider-Man #699 hits shelves today, which means I can finally reveal the brainy background to this tentacular cover. I didn't need a great deal of reference for this one, so a quick Photo Booth pic did the trick for the hands. I also looked at a lot of Humberto Ramos art since I wanted to stay on-model for the tentacles. You can see the solicited version in my previous post and a comic preview at CBR.



Hours:
  • Pencils: 9.5
  • Composite: 3
  • Layouts: 3.5
  • Colors: 3.5


Flats
Inks


Blue-Line Print
Pencils


Digital Composite
Digital Color Studies







9 comments :

  1. Man this is such a good cover, and resonates much more now that I know what it's about. I would have bought it at NYCC if I had known!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good cover and a very funny reference :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, everybody! It was one of those times when the idea just hit me right away. Almost didn't go through because it was technically a spoiler, but I'm happy they went with the 2 versions approach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great cover! Got the context of the story perfectly - Mr Slott is a lucky man! XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cover is so badass. I hope you do some work for any upcoming superior spider-man comics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Jamie! No plans to speak of as of yet, but I certainly can't rule it out.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.