Wacky Reference Wednesday, No. 203

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Daredevil #9, Page 4. 2012. 
Ink(ed by Joe Rivera) on Marvel board, 11 × 17.25″.

Daredevil Vol. 2 came out today and I just got my comp copies from Marvel. Here's a page from issue 9 where Matt makes a quick change from his alter ego. The panel this was used for was mostly in silhouette, so what I wanted wasn't detail, but gesture. I tried to give as much information as possible without showing very much. For me, the key was the glasses hanging from his mouth — I wanted to give the impression of haste.

The bottom panel was completed with the help of a Sketchup model, supplemented with various photos found on-line. The perspective grid is a Photoshop template I'm still developing for wide release, which includes a window pattern, among many others. It's finished, but I need to make an instructional comic first. That'll be one of my projects for the coming year.


Taken with Photo Booth on my iMac


Blue-Line
Pencils


Digital Composite
Digital Layout






4 comments :

  1. One of the reasons you are one of my favorite artists lately is because of the amount of work and effort you put into your art. You take a lot of steps to get things right and that takes dedication. That, and you have a great throwback style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved seeing the backpack. I own a page from issue #3 of the original DD series and it too features DD with a back pack. Panel four from that page looks similar to your great first panel. Here's a link! http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=339129&GSub=13177

    Any chance of getting you back on DD (besides the amazing covers)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm envious! I love Orlando's work and I was thinking of that very page as I drew my own version. As for returning to DD, there are no plans for the future, but I certainly won't rule it out. I'd love to come back.

      Delete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.