Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 109

Tuesday, June 1, 2010


Mythos: Captain America, Page 12, Panel 3. 2008.
Gouache and acrylic on bristol board, 11 x 17".
Original Art



In this recreation of the attack on Pearl Harbor, I used a die-cast model (which my roommate happened to own) as a reference for the 3 Mitsubishi A6Ms (better known as the Japanese Zero). The background is primarily based on the famous image of the USS Shaw, among others. As you can see, the photos were taken during the drawing process, since I am most often concerned with composition prior to specific details.



2 comments :

  1. The way you posed up these reference shots is sheer brilliance, man. Absolutely ingenious! The piece looks awesome, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Eric! What I didn't show was that I mistook a gas tank for a bomb and had to revise the panel after it was finished.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.