Wacky Reference Wednesday, No. 159

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Amazing Spider-Man # 640, Page 19. 2010. 
Ink on Marvel board (with digital color), 11 × 17.25″.

Sometimes reference can actually impede the process, as in this page from One Moment in Time. I liked the bottom panel Spidey in my layout much better than what I ended up penciling and inking. In the end, it works just fine, I just prefer the former. I also took a photo for Spidey's left hand in the top panel. I always have trouble with that angle, mainly because that's the side I can't see.



In addition to my own photo reference, I used my trusty Google Street View to find a suitable setting in Forest Hills. Don't be shocked if you find yourself driving through Queens and see that exact neighborhood.


1: Layout, 4 × 6″ 2: Digital Composite with 3D meshes


3: Pencils.  4: Inks.

5 comments :

  1. Hey Paolo,
    Looks great, as always! I was wondering-- are the 3-D meshes done with a computer program or a ruler and pencil?
    Thanks! Keep up the good work!
    -Jashar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Paolo. I love this series.

    If you have time...

    When you print the digital composite onto the art board, are you just reducing the opacity of the digital composite to a light grey to pencil over? I know from past posts your dad does a blue print out for inks, however it doesn't look blue under the pencils.

    Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jashar, the meshes are from Google Sketchup, which boasts a community of builders who share their models for free. I just use Sketchup to get the angle I need, then paste it into Photoshop (which has its own 3D capabilities as well, just not as intuitive or speedy).

    Charlie, at the time, I was light-boxing computer printouts, so what you're seeing is actual pencil. Currently, I print out everything, which saves grotesque amounts of time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing your creative process. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.