Green Hornet #2, X #1

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Green Hornet #2 Cover. 2012.
Ink(ed by Joe Rivera) on bristol board, 11 × 17″.

These covers recently debuted on-line, though they won't be out in stores for a little while. For Green Hornet, I wanted to subtly hint at the coming conflict between him and Kato — Mark Waid always has mischievous plans.

The X cover is the first in a series of variant covers for Dark Horse where I was given free reign to do whatever I wanted, including the incorporation of lettering. I've been looking at a lot of poster art lately and you'll be able to see the influence. I came up with the tagline for this one, but my editors provided the next, which features Captain Midnight. This was done completely in Photoshop — the rest will be as well.


X #1 Variant Cover. 2013.
Photoshop, ~7 × 10.5″ @400 dpi.

Because of the popularity of my latest time lapse video, I've added a YouTube playlist at the top of the blog. I also plan on recording more in the future (I use iShowU, a $20 app with tons of features).

What's that you say? You need a new wardrobe? Well, I hope you like Daredevil, because there are now 3 lovely offerings at welovefine.com. Happy shopping! Have a great weekend!


From DD#1, #7, and #18

4 comments :

  1. Been meaning to ask this for over a year...why did you choose to have the billy club cover up DD's eyes on the cover of #1? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Mike mentioned below, I did that very thing throughout the opening action sequence. Daredevil doesn't "see" with his eyes, so I emphasized that point wherever I could. Whenever he fights someone, I usually have him "looking" the other way.

      Delete
  2. Paolo also has DD's eyes obscured from the viewer for a good deal of that first issue. One of those thoughtful touches that raises the bar for comic storytelling.

    Great experimentation and a stylistic departure on this X cover, Paolo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike! I'm really excited about this whole series.

      Delete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.