Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 214

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Avenging Spider-Man. 2012.
Ink(ed by Joe Rivera) on Marvel board, 11 × 17.25″.

Avenging Spider-Man #17 hits shelves today and you can see a 3-page preview here. I didn't use any photo reference for this one, but quite a bit of other people's art went into its creation. That includes J.C. Leyendecker, one of the all-time greats (some nice scans here). And if you're ever looking for classic depictions of superheroes from all angles, you can never go wrong with Randy Bowen's sculptures. I usually defer to his expertise when I have conflicting character design reference.

In other news, Daredevil Vol. 4 hits comic shops today as well. I provided covers for 4 of the issues.


That's a lot of Future Foundation kids to keep track of...


Inks by my Pops
Pencils











Digital Composite
Digital Layout




4 comments :

  1. your work is awesome as ever. Loved this cover on todays issue. Keep up the great work!!!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Paolo! If you don't mind me asking: what's your dad's background in art-making? I've heard in an interview of yours that your parents have an art supply store but has he done any comic book work in the past for example? And what does your employers think of this arrangement?

    I hope you find the time to answer, love your work,
    what else...? greetings from finland!

    - lasse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lasse,

      You're not the first to ask the question, and I've actually been meaning to write a bio of sorts for my Dad. He's never worked in the comics field before, but he's been doing commercial art for as long as I've known him (and a little before). He still paints murals on motorcycles (and other things) for his main job, but he used to airbrush t-shirts back in the 80s and 90s. Prior to that, he did caricatures.

      My Mom ran the art store/gallery/mail order shop for many, many years, which is where I found the time to draw all day long.

      That's the short story, but they both deserve a longer bio.

      Delete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.