Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 230

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Green Hornet #3 Cover. 2013.
Ink(ed by Joe Rivera) on bristol board, 11 × 17″.

This issue of Green Hornet came out earlier in the month, but I never got a chance to post the preliminary work or reference used. You can see a preview of the comic here. (I just received my comp copies, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.) Aside from the photos of myself, I was looking at plenty of pics of fedoras — I've gotten much better at them after 8 covers. The signs are based on Citizen Kane, which served as inspiration for Waid's story. Lastly, the lettering was done in Photoshop as a smart object, allowing me to draw the poster once and place it wherever needed.


... doing my best Orson Welles

layouts: 7.5
digital sketch: 5.5
pencils: 6
colors: 3
∑: 22 hours
Layouts include other sketches that were used for subsequent covers.


inks by my Dad
blue-line print of pencils









pencils over digital sketch
digital sketch





digital layout

No comments :

Post a Comment

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.